Trusted Irving Divorce Attorney

Call for Insight on Your Relocation Issue Today

For a family with children, the decision to move can be a sensitive one. There is the child's schooling to think about, their access to friends and family, and their ties to the community. For a divorced family, there is even more to consider and the quality of a child's relationship with one of his or parents may hang in the balance.

If you are divorced parent that is looking to move with your child or looking to challenge your co-parent's relocation petition, then call J. Roland Jeter, P.C. today. Since 1978, Attorney Jeter has been providing knowledgeable and dedicated legal counsel to the individuals and families of Irving and beyond. Both in and outside the courtroom, he can ensure that your rights are protected, your interests are furthered, and your voice is heard.

Learn more about how an experienced Irving divorce lawyer can assist you. Call the firm today.

Relocation with Children in Texas

Following a divorce, it is typical the court to restrict a custodial parent's residence to a certain region in order to give the non-custodial parent reasonable access to the children (and to share in the parenting duties). This means that, in the event that a custodial parent wants to relocate, they must first petition to the courts to do so. The non-custodial parent will be notified of this petition and, if necessary, a hearing will be set to review the circumstances of the proposed move.

Relocation hearings are similar to child custody hearings in that the child's best interests will be the number one priority. The court will hear arguments from both parents on the proposed relocation before deciding if the move will ultimately benefit the child.

Legitimate reasons for relocating with children include:

  • For employment reasons (job relocation)
  • To be closer to family who will assist in the upbringing

These are the most compelling reasons to argue for a relocation and other, lesser reasons may not be enough for the court to approve the child's greater separation from the non-custodial parent. No matter what side of a relocation request you are in, however, vigilant representation is needed. Attorney Jeter is ready to hear your family's story and ensure that your role in your child's life is properly put forth before the law.

Call J. Roland Jeter, P.C. to request a consultation today.

Request a Consultation

  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.
  • By submitting, you agree to be contacted about your request & other information using automated technology. Message frequency varies. Msg & data rates may apply. Text STOP to cancel. Acceptable Use Policy